Gifted and Talented Education
Optimising every student’s opportunity to achieve their potential lies at the heart of Education Queensland’s commitment to all students. This includes those students who are identified as academically gifted and talented.
Morayfield East Sate School provides an academic extension program for gifted and talented students, led by the Gifted Education teacher. This program is known as ‘Apollo’ – a word synonymous with ‘wisdom and knowledge’.
Each week the ‘Apollo’ lessons offer a community of inquiry approach filled with challenging critical and creative thinking opportunities. The ‘Apollo’ topics and tasks demand thinking with advanced
- depth, and
Identified gifted and talented students work together in a small group ‘Apollo’ lesson for one-hour each week, during school hours.
• Caters for and acknowledges the gifted and talented students’ cognitive needs
• Supports and enhances the emotional and social development of gifted and talented children
- The subject of ‘powerful thinking’ (Philosophical Inquiry)
- Outside the learning content of the regular classroom curriculum, but building advanced thinking prowess, understandings, skills and knowledge for accelerated and highly desirable progress within the regular classroom.
- Traversing the Australian Curriculum’s general capabilities’ critical and creative thinking learning continuum
- Essential 21st century thinking skills which underpin all learning in Australian schools and beyond
- A ‘community of inquiry’.